Friday 9 August 2013

My favourite sink and washstand in the world!

You've seen my top ten reasons why basins with washstands are a Modern Country must-have, now let me give you a behind-the-scenes sneak peak into the inner workings of my brain. Fasten your seat belts!


You know what they say about difficulties sometimes bringing out the best solutions? That facing problems head on somehow squeezes out extra creativity? Well, this is one of those glorious occasions.


We needed a small basin - cloakroom size - for our shower room. I didn't want the small proportions of the room in any way to compromise the look and feel of the fittings but, rather, to be an asset.


I searched high and low for the perfect small basin with a washstand and was lucky enough to stumble across what is now one of my favourite bathroom suppliers: Burlington.


I'd not had first-hand experience of Burlington before but have been nothing short of amazed at their service - the products are well-priced, good quality and beautifully packaged.


Their Edwardian cloakroom basin comes with a washstand - you would not believe how ridiculously happy it made me to finally track one down - and one with such perfectly Modern Country Style! 


And not only is the basin small (51 cm wide by 30 cm deep) but the washstand is absolutely beautiful. Feast your eyes on those luscious legs!


The legs are long, slim and curvy. In truth, what more could you want? The chrome finish bounces the light around the whole room beautifully.


But what I love most of all, is the way that what could have been rather a dull area has been turned into something really special, whilst not taking up any floor space.


It's definitely worth doing this level of research, if you're at all like me, to get a product that you'll be thrilled with for years and years and years to come.


I adore the attention to detail that Burlington have given the design of their Edwardian sink. It adds a large shot of much-needed character into this new build space. The upstand at the back prevents water spraying on the tiles, and the sink itself is lovely and deep; both of these completely bypass the common problem of small basins: splashing!


The moral of this tale is this - and I say this as much to myself as to you: the next time you are feeling at the end of the road, don't give up! Keep searching! That perfect something is a-waiting....and this gorgeous Burlington Edwardian basin with its eye-candy washstand is a perfect example of how patience and persistence pays off.


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





11 comments :

Unknown said...

Looks really lovely Sarah ~ perfection xx

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Thank you, lovely! I'm thrilled!

Sarahxx

Jenny said...

That is my grandmother's bathroom, exactly! She built her house in 1912. I remember having trouble with using the water, trying to get my washcloth warm. It was run it under the cold then under the hot. It was a good sink for washing my hair, very wide. Seeing the photos I can still smell the bathroom. My grandfather was a dentist and mixed his own tooth powder which permeated the room. Sweet memories. xo Jenny

Alison Agnew said...

what a lovely little washstand
with perfect proportions
and just the right amount of flirt
for your bath!


{alison}

Village Wife said...

Wow its gorgeous, of course! I actually had the same one in mind for this house both in the en-suite and the downstairs as neither room is big...xx

Connie in Hartwood said...

Such great details in a small basin and stand ... Nicely done .. but about the inconvenience of having warm water when one has separate Hot and Cold taps like that?

Unknown said...

Love your washstand find! I can hardly wait to see the whole room put together! Enjoy!

Louise said...

Very pretty indeed with those extra details like the corner and sides. I guess on could put an extra thermostat under the hot tap to preblend it, so you have cold and wash-hands warm instead of cold and hot. It would require some extra plumbing though.

meagenda said...

Sarah, I'm so pleased I stumbled across this post (by way of Pinterest).

We are in the process of refurbishing a narrow ground floor cloakroom and had already selected the Burlington concealed outlet low level WC as one of the few WCs available that will fit a 260mm vertical outlet "set out" without needing to build the wall out behind the cistern. But I've been deliberating for days whether to order the Victorian Cloakroom basin or the Edwardian basin with the upstand. Your lovely clear images have tipped the balance in favour of the Edwardian.

Would you mind me asking a couple of questions? Is that a Burlington Traditional chrome bottle trap or a Bauhaus bottle trap, and if not the Burlington, did you have any problems with compatibility when fitting to the Burlington slotted plug waste? Also what is the width across the base of your taps, ie where they sit on the ceramic?

Suzy

Anonymous said...

You can do this by checking them out on the BBB and look at online reviews to get information about a given company. Make sure that you are clear about the final costs of the furnishings including the cost of shipping and taxes. Get More Detail about. Rectangular Shower Enclosure

StevenHWicker said...

Very significant Information for us, I have think the representation of this Information is actually superb one. This is my first visit to your site. Regrout Bathroom

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10